View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 02:28 PM

Low RBCs and platelets

Hi run4peach1,
Good that your father is recovering from the pneumonia !

You know the hemoglobin can have increased to 10.9 one week ago because your father had not got enough to drink and had fever. When we are "dry" we always get a false high haemoglobin value.

When I do blood work I try to drink the same volume of tea etcetera at the same time in the morning and then I go to the hospital at the same time of the day because I want to be able to compare all values.

I don't think Procrit will make your father weaker.

Thalidomide gives adverse reactions in many patients and I can’t find any new studies on Thalidomide. Here is an older study:
http://www.nature.com/leu/journal/v1.../2402330a.html

Second generation immune modulating drugs like Revlimid and Pomalidomide (not yet approved) give less adverse effects but Revlimid gives best effect in patients with isolated 5q- chromosome aberration.

Vidaza is still considered the best drug for MDS patients.

My transfusion interval increased when I started with Desferal for iron overload during about six months and the same thing happened when I started with Exjade for iron overload Sept 2009. This is not so common and not really a treatment method but a positive effect of the drugs.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A