View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 6, 2010, 02:48 PM

Dacogen fatigue

HI Susan,

I am trying to remember my earlier treatments in 07thru 08 and looking at my notes. I don't remember the fatigue being as bad as it has been since I restarted in Feb of this year.Back in 07 With my first couple of treatments they gave me Benadryl which left me very sleepy for the whole day so I asked to try without it and did fine. Didn't take any nausea drugs only Tylenol and did O.K. My biggest problem has always been constipation which I control with Senicote. I needed trasfusions after the first three cycles because the Dacogen took my Hemoglobin and platlets so low but none after that when my counts all started to rise. This time around I only needed one tranfusion after the second round. The fatigue really hit me this May after my fourth round when I found myself napping every day and just dragging myself around. (even had to call my daughter to ask with help with house work which I hated to do). The doctor had recommended another transfusion at that time but I begged off and slowly got some energy back. I am due for another round of treatments next week so we will see how that goes.
A BMB after that fourth treatment showed the blasts back down to 2-3% so the Dacogen is definetly working again. I see reading some of the posts on this forum that some doctors keep their patients on the Dacogen even after they reach remission but I was off for 15 months and did very well until the WBC started dropping again and that is when I was put back on. I really hope you have similar good results and that the fatigue clears up as I know how depressing that can be.I also hope you have a lot of family around for morale support because that has been a godsend for me.
Try to stay positive.
Marie