View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 04:36 AM

Thumbs up Does TB causes Marrow failure?

This is Mahendra.K Patient's father.
My son aged 1 year now under gone PBSCT(Peripheral blood stem cell transplant) in C.M.C hospital, Vellore, T.N, India on 23rd November 2016.

Prior to the transplant he was diagnosed that suffering from Sever combined Immune deficiency(SCID - T-, B+, NK-) along with TB in the month of September 2016.
He was admitted in hospital due to the recurrent infections with fever.

Once the baby was well and the fever settled down the doctor suggested to start the PBSCT process and my Daughter was the HLA matched donor.

The transplant was done on 23rd Novemebr 2016. The WBC engraft was started on 11th day of the transplant.
The WBC was coming up and going down. So they prescribed the growth factor injection and the WBC use to come up.
Baby was present in BMTU for 30days and was shifted to ward.

We started see the nodules under the skin through out the body. The biopsy reported that TB and the TB medicine was continued which was same as the one prescribed before transplant.

The type of the TB was disseminated TB.

the 30days and 60 days chimerism shows 100% donor cells.

Since the platelet count was 400 during the 6th week, they did bone marrow biopsy and the culture was shown TB and the other cell and platelet en-graft cells were present as normal marrow as per the discussion with doctor.

Now the day 90 chimerism results yet to come.

The Ca level (calcium level) in blood is going up. The PTH values is low and the vitamin D-1 test(25-Dyhydroxy)results shows 200pg/ml(the normal value is 19.9 - 79.3) which is more Vitamin D-2.
Hope this huge D-2 vitamin will cause more Ca in blood.

Do the TB bacteria cause release of more calcium into the blood?

Now my worry is do this TB bacterial cells causes any damage to the marrow and cause the failure?

Please kindly answer my questions.

Last edited by mahendra_413 : Thu Feb 23, 2017 at 07:20 AM.