View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 3, 2017, 04:28 PM

New to pancytopenia

Hi!

Two weeks ago I did my routine annual physical, and 3 days later (before 9am on President's Day - not a good sign!) got a call from my doctor saying my blood counts were low. He got me in to see a hematologist just a few days later, and they confirmed the low counts at that appt. We are obviously just at the beginning of trying to figure this out, but in reading some of your stories I can see why he was so alarmed! Here are my counts from that first CBC:

HG: 8
HCT: 22.9
WBC: 2.8
RBC: 2.14
Platelets: 28
Also, my MCV, MPH and MPV were all high - which indicates large RBCs I think.

The next counts from my hematologist have been similar, although my Hg is now even lower (7.3/7.4), my WBC are slightly higher (latest is 3.3), and my platelets also slightly higher at 29-37. But pretty much the same picture across the board, and all pretty darn terrible. In fact, when I went in last Wednesday the doctor was just glad that I was stable and not tanking further!

This was a huge shock to me because I am generally healthy and have not been feeling too terrible - certainly not as terrible as my numbers look! I have been more tired than usual, and having some difficulty with stairs, but was chalking that up to getting older and general stress (my mom has cancer; one of my kids has intractable epilepsy and may be getting brain surgery - I could continue the list but that will do for now!). But I am now trying very hard to take it easy because I do notice overdoing it causing some symptoms, in particular heart palpitations and general "shakiness."

Bone marrow biopsy is scheduled for Monday, with follow up with my doctor next Thursday. None of the other tests he has done have shown anything: B12 & folate levels normal; leukemia/lymphoma evaluation was negative; all my different white cells are at normal levels and no "blasts" (whatever that means). So hopefully the answers are in my marrow!

I'm a bit freaked out, and not sure what to think. Obviously something is wrong, but this really snuck up on me. I was glad to find this community, and I'd appreciate any thoughts about what they may be looking for, and what I can expect going forward.

Thank you!