View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 7, 2009, 03:05 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme01 View Post
I would like to hear from people in the northern hemisphere to find out whether they had any side effects from the injection and whether it did prevent the flu.
According to the CDC, minor side effects of the H1N1 vaccine are similar to any flu vaccine: soreness, redness, or swelling at the injection site, headaches or muscle aches, sometimes fever or nausea. Symptoms typically last no more than 1 or 2 days. I couldn't find any statistics on the frequencies of these side effects. Many people have no side effects at all.

Rare but more serious side effects -- fainting or allergic reactions -- would show up soon after the shot. I spoke to a doctor yesterday who worked at an H1N1 vaccination clinic. They vaccinated 2200 people and nobody at all had a bad reaction there.

Some people will get a cold or flu (including H1N1) after getting their H1N1 shot, but that's because they were already coming down with it or caught it before the shot took effect, not because the dead (inactivated) virus in the shot made them sick. These people would have gotten the same cold or flu without the shot. Unfortunately, some of these people will blame the flu shot and tell other people; that's often how rumors get started that keep people from getting vaccinated when they should.