View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 4, 2017, 12:21 PM

3rd shot yesterday, was very anxious ahead of time about the bone pain and considered refusing the shot or taking a Xanax first but didn't. Still have that huge bruise & hard lump on my arm where last week's shot was and was told it should never have been given in the same arm, supposed to rotate to different place each time. Personally, I think the nurse got the needle in the wrong place, supposed to be in subcutaneous fat. Way too much blood for that. This week's nurse put in other arm and no problems at all, just like 1st week. She couldn't get blood for draw, tho, and ended up getting a different nurse and using the other arm. But blood work results an hour later were a surprise, platelets down to 82, RBCs at 4.00, WBC are high at 11.8 with ANC at 1.4. That's the highest the ANC has been since this all started May 31st. Range for this lab is 1.8-8.0 so perhaps no shot next week. They'll do the CBC and call the doc to see what he says. Starting to have symptoms of low platelets but not too bad yet. Reducing platelets is a 'severe' side effect of Granix, tho the nurse wasn't aware of it. She said it wouldn't be critical until down to 10 but not sure I believe her.

As for the pain, I brought 2 percocets with me and took them immediately after getting the shot. Was fine until about the 45 minute mark when I got the headache & could feel bone pain in my cheek bones & eye orbital bones. Nothing anywhere else. I fell asleep and woke up at the 3 hr mark with bad bone pain in the upper arm of the arm that got the shot but it wasn't from the shot itself. I think it was because I was sleeping on that arm. It took about an hour for that to go away and I didn't have any more pain or take any more medication. I slept through the night and woke at 6am with heart rate 120, sweating & weak. Had to lie on couch to keep it down. Was back to normal by 8am and hasn't come back.

I am still worried about whether this is increasing my blasts or not. Doc has done a flow cytometry on peripheral blood before, wonder if he will again. Would rather not get another BMB.

Cheryl, yes, I will report the sweating & fast heart rate.

Youlgron, I'm mostly asking questions as a newbie myself but if my posts telling of my experience helps any way that's good.
Joanne, 65F, 8/17 dx Primary MDS-EB1, Pancytopenia; 6/19 MPN w/CMML characteristics, dr calling it AML even w/blasts <20%; 7/19 Induction w/Vyxeos resulting in complete remission with incomplete blood count recovery.