View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM

jinsjohn,

From my experience, a pint of blood will usually increase my HGB 1 point on average, that is when I am not on chemo...

That is to say Day 1 I'll have a 6.5 HGB, receive a pint and Day 2 I will have a 7.5 HGB... My body has been quite destructive to my RBC's especially during chemo, and on some days, I might see the same number or slightly higher, i.e. 6.6 HGB on Day 2 even after a transfusion... Sometimes my Bone Marrow decides to kick in (even during chemo), and under the first case scenario, I'll see Day 1 - 6.5 HGB, transfusion, then Day 2 - 7.5 HGB, and Day 3 - 8.0 HGB with no transfusion...

Everyone reacts different to transfusions, and it's possible to hold on to a pint for days or even weeks if everything else is at a stand still...

Hope this helps, All the Best, and may God Bless us ALL!!!
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)