View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 10:38 PM

Dacogen vs Vidaza

Hi Anne-Marie,
I have only tried Vidaza. My doc says an oral presentation at the latest ASH meeting showed that Vidaza had life extension benefits, but Dacogen didn't. I understand Vidaza turns into Dacogen in the body, but don't know why the results might have varied. As this was an oral report and not peer reviewed, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Vidaza is a powder that has to be mixed just before administration. So far, it is available for sub-cutaneous injection and infusion. I have had a port inserted under the skin in my chest and receive infusions. Port is also good for RBC transfusions and other uses. I used to get severe rashes on my stomach with the injections but have no side effects from the infusions. The anti-nausea drug I take causes constipation, but milk of magnesia beforehand usually takes care of it prior to the constipation. The injections could be done in a nurse's setting, but the port needle is a special type and many offices don't have them.

Hope this helps. Best of Luck!
Steve Kessler,Age 71, Dx 3/2001, Currently AML converted from MDS, 5q-, 11q23, Negative response to Aranesp, Revlimid. Partial response to Vidaza in the past. On a study using ON1910.NA, counts too low to go to Stanford on schedule.