Thread: going on exjade
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 03:08 PM

Exjade side effects

I started Exjade because my ferritin is close to 4000, but had to stop after only a week -- high creatinine, and liver issues too, complicated by the fact that I'm still hemolyzing blood a bit. (A week after my second ATG in early April, I had an acute episode of hemolytic anemia for which I was hospitalized two weeks). I'm also on 500mg of CSA/day as part of the immunosuppressive therapy, so that contributes to kidney and liver issues too. I actually felt fine while taking the Exjade, but the labs showed otherwise. Once my kidney and liver issues are under control, we will probably try starting it again as the doctors are recommending a BMT, and reducing iron overload is desirable before transplanting (evidence of better outcome). But I'm dodging the BMT bullet week by week at this point. So far, so good....

Marmab
Marmab, F65, SAA/hypo MDS dx 7/2011. Tried ATG/CsA, IvIG, Rituxan, prednisone, Promacta -- none of these helped. Transfusion dependent until MUD BMT 7/17/14. Prep. regimen of Campath, Fludarabine & Cytoxan. Doing great. 100% engraftment. No GVHD.