View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 09:18 PM

Platlettes in the toilette

Here we go again. Nellie admitted to hospital again from emergency room, Saturday morning. The pickline placed in her right arm was bleeding where it entered the arm. She had fever Friday night, 102. Gave her tylonol, it brought her fever down before bedtime. Sat morning she noticed the bleeding. Called her Hemo Doc, Dr Morris. He said take her to emergency quickly, so I did. After checking her CBCs, she had plts at 10, Hgbn at 7.5 and whites at 2.8. All numbers down. Xrays, CT scan and cultures stat. Took all day, from 1030 am until 930 pm to get her into a room on the Oncology floor. By then she had first tx of platelets, and first unit of whole blood. When we got to her room on the fourth floor her temp was around 100.3. She had lots of trauma to her left arm, because of being stuck so many times to find an access for IV line. They would not use the pick line already in her right arm for fear of contamination, I guess. I went home.

I get to the hospital about 10 am. Nellie has had a rough night. Fever up to 102.4 and back down, up then down, etc. They had stopped using the latest perifial line placed Sat morning, and were using the pick line placed last Monday. Still bleeding some but not as bad. More antibiotics, vitamines and packed red cells overnight. More antibiotics during the day. All counts doing much better, plts at 65, reds at 8.9 and whites stable. Speculation is the bleeding pick line is the culprit causing the fevers. That's what the doctors say. However, I noticed that when they finally removed the perifial IV line, placed in the ER, within the hour Nellie's fever dropped to 98.9, her headach went away and the pain she had in her arm stopped, huh.

When her floor doctor came around to give us the good news about the CBC results, which we already got from the nurse, I mentioned the pain Nellie had in the left arm. He looked at it and said, maybe that's why she still had that fever..... Hum. Well, problem is, the doctors want to remove the pick line, again, tomorrow. Then place another pick line elswhere, so that we can prepare for a port to be placed in the chest. What.

Later on a doctor from The Infectuos Decease Office comes to look at a boil the had appear overnight in Nellie's groune area. I mentioned to the doc that it looks like what Nellie had all over her rump, last week. And that I thought it was CS MRSA, and treated it as such and they all dried up quickly. But the doctor said no, it was the shingles. Well, hit me with a stick and call me stupid. I have had the shingles, Nellie has had the shingles and neither looked like what I saw on her bottom. And the one that develope in the groine area overnight did not look like the shingles we had in the past. The shingles we had hurt for a long time, nearly a year for me. Whazup~

Well, when I left Nellie in hospital tonight she looked good. Cheeks rosie, temp normal, apetite good and she said she felt strong. I hope she will be able to come home tomorrow and that they do not remove the pick line just yet. Atleast until they get the results of the cultures. If IV access is needed prior to placing the port, then why remove it just to place another in a few days.

As you all probobly can tell, I am fit to be tied. Am I missing something? Nellie will do anything the doctor says. And I worry when I am not there to question for her. Nuff said, till next time. Thanks for your comments and prayers.

Eli
Eli, husband of Nellie (64), dx 3/08 MDS RAEB-1 w/abs, 2nd BMB 9/08 after 4 cyls blast dn to .5, Vidaza reduced 50% on 11/19 after sudden drop in CBC, 8th cycle completed 12/26/08. BMB 2/09 blast 17%. Seven day Induction Therapy completed 3/23/09, Started Salvage Therapy 5/5/09. Stopped 5/8/09.