View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 7, 2013, 01:52 AM

Hi, I went to a BMT lecture and previous transplant patients told their stories.

One of them was a young man 21 yo at the time of diagnosis. He said that his blood problem (mild pancytopenia) was picked up on a routine university medical exam. After BMB he was told he had chromosomal aberrations and the outcome would not be good.

He had a BMT without ever having developed full blown MDS. He never once had to have a transfusion, platelets or growth factors. He admitted the decision whether to go straight to transplant or not was not easy, but, given his age and fitness level it was deemed appropriate.

When I listened to him he was 33 years old, had no post transplant issues was healthy and fit. He was working full time, had married AND he had fathered two children. (He had frozen semen prior to chemo).

So, I know that you are older and therefore there is no need to rush to transplant, but yes, I have heard of someone else with no real peripheral blood count issues having a transplant for MDS.

Regards

Chirley