View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 08:47 PM

Nicole,
My husband was similar as far as food not tasting good. He also had a hard time eating because he had very little saliva at first. He only wanted cold food and no bread because it was hard to swallow. Since his transplant (15 months ago) he has lost 40 pounds. He is now at a healthy weight and he is very conscience about not putting that weight back on. He still has trouble with some foods and he always has to have water when he eats.

Return of energy is slow, but he should be showing some signs of improvement. The fact that he is not motivated tends to sound like he has depression. Perhaps the meds he is on for this aren't the right ones for him. Our doctors constantly asked Mike about his state of mind. This is such a big life event that none of us know how we would react to this. His doctors should be told. I have to agree with Marlene that one has to exert energy to build energy. Mike had his transplant around the same time of year as your husband and it was about this time of the winter that he would wrap a scarf around his face and walk around the block. At least when he was tired, he felt he had a reason. Perhaps his doctors will have suggestions - I am sure they have seen this before.

I wish you and your husband all the best with this.

Mary
Mary, wife of Mike age 70; diagnosed MDS RARS 1999. Tried Vidaza, Revlimid, and Dacogen. SCT 10/1/09 at U of MI; induction FluBu2; sister perfect match donor. 5 years out, little to no GVHD. Off all meds. God is good