View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 05:39 PM

Is this a remission or misdiagnosis?

I am hoping that someone can give me some information. I am new here and this is my first post. In March 2007 my husband started having extreme shortness of breath and fatigue. After heart test etc his regular dr determine that the shortness of breath was caused by a hemoglobin of 5.3. (He is 55 yrs old and was working at the time) He was immediately hospitalized and transfused with 5 units of blood. He has had 5 biopsies and the first said MDS type 5q-the second at MD Anderson said that he had lymphoma and was given targeted chemo. This did nothing and he continued having tranfusions at two per week. His third biopsy said he had MDS but not 5q-. His 4th was inconclusive and his 5th said mild MDS. These biopsies were done both in Dallas and in Houston at MD Anderson. The MD Anderson dr recommended Procrit and in October he was to start that. He went in for his appt to get the Procrit and his regular transfusion. He could do neither since his hemoglobin was 10.1, (normally just over 9.0 after a transfusion). He had not been transfused in 2 to 3 weeks. Since October his hemoglobin had continued to increase and is now at 14.0 with no treatment and no transfusions. The doctor has not offered any explanation for this at all. Between April and October he rec'd almost 40 units. He is now on Exjade due to his iron level being around 1000 but no other treatment. Has anyone else experienced this?