Thread: Transpalnt Date
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 03:38 AM

Data,

I am glad to see that you have a transplant date and conditioning regimen setup. The couple of pieces that I can comment on 1) with the cytoxan, be sure that you are well hydrated the days before and the days after. Cytoxan can cause cysts and bleeding and good hydration going in and for a couple of days after usually takes care of that problem. My doctor gave me more saline, but I did not take any chances and drank all I could stand. As for the exercise and walking, my team would get up and cheer us on when we got out of bed and would walk down the halls. Getting out of bed has several positive side effects starting with limiting depression, but also it helps keep everything in your system moving. I started off walking 3-4 times per day and would walk just until i was starting to get tired as I did not want to be worn out. This method worked well for me until about 5 days after transplant - basically you hit rock bottom when your neutrophil count gets the lowest. When I reached this point I only had the energy to get out of bed 2 times per day - but once I was moving around, it felt really good.

As for cataracts - my understanding is that low levels of radiation - which it looks like you are scheduled for, have low incidences of cataracts. I did not have any radiation but have been on prednisone and hydrocortisone, and have developed cataracts at 42 as a result of these treatments. Cataract surgery isn't that big of a deal from what I have heard and what the doctor has said - I will let you know in early february what the reality is as that is when I am scheduled to have mine removed. . I really do hope this info helps.

Good luck. We are cheering for you from the sidelines.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.