View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 02:19 PM

Carole,

My story was very similar to yours, diagnosed at age 56 and not wanting to pursue treatments that could reduce my quality of life for the little time I had remaining. I changed my mind and first decided to try Vidaza. I was lucky - a very quick, positive effect with no ill side effects. My counts returned to normal, and I looked and felt great. Months later, I started reconsidering the bone marrow transplant and visited several hospitals for consultations. All agreed that the Vidaza might work for years or might stop working anytime. The only chance at a cure was transplant. It was an agonizing decision but I decided to go for it. I had an unrelated matched donor. That was four years ago, and I am doing well with no evidence of disease at my last checkup in December. My husband and I chronicled our past 4 years in our blog, http://www.mausmarrow.com.

Only you can make the decision that's right for you. I wish you all the best.

Karen
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com