Thread: Keeping Faith
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:40 PM

I am a late responder took me 10 months, too old for bmt so had rabbit instead. am relatively okay now, platelets hover between 50 and 78 currently but i have had a few colds and noro virus - I work full time. Your marrow will do what it has to do in its own time.
I am 53 but in the beginning had issues with monthly bleeds as I didnt realise that AA has sped me through the menopause lol (always a silver lining) so they put me on Northesterone for a while which stops them. When I stopped Northesterone because it made me itch like mad, my periods never came back and they gave me another tablet to take to stop a bleed if it happened (something acid) anyway touch wood I havent. I still get the odd hot flush but nothing that bad. I do know that too many transfusions are not good, because of the overload and various antibodies which you make each time. Get the transfusions when you feel you need them, I would get to about 7 hb before I got really breathless, and now that I have reached 11.5 they said this was why I was able to function with such a low hb, because I am naturally low. Platelets they would always transfuse if you got below 10, but if I ever got to 12 they would wait, then as I say 10th month I got to 12, then 15 then 20, hovered around here for a while then out of the blue 40 the 50 and about a month ago the heady heights of 78, so onwards and upwards hopefully. Try and find a really knowledgeable consultant for this disease, its tricky but do-able. Lots on here have gone on for years and years and years so always keep the faith! xxx Karen (UK)