Thread: Keeping Faith
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:51 PM

I am so happy you have gotten the blood you needed!!! You are very wise to know signs of bleeding are an ASAP symptom!
Although it seems we are advised to get them when needed, I can not express enough the importance of knowing the symptoms of low counts and how YOU feel. Having the blood you need is most important now. Example of signs
Low RBC
Tiredness or increased tiredness
Less alert or trouble concentrating
Loss of appetite
Pallor (paler skin)
Trouble breathing
Rapid heartbeat
Low plts
Bruising or bleeding
Heavy menstrual cycles
Nose bleeds
Petechiae (small red dots on skin, most common on legs. Can be seen other places. I've met people who had them on their nose)
Bleeding gums
WBC low
Signs of recurring or frequent infections (any)
It seems each pt is different. My husbands first transfusion was bc I called to tell his Dr his nose was bleeding. Plt 14 , hgb falling under 5 .... WAY TO LOW. Now we know. Always inform your Dr of changes. They are not w/you 24/7 and a good Dr appreciates knowing when things change.
I am so happy you seem to be getting better answers from your Drs. I can't remember did you say you have research an EXPERT in your area? I cannot tell you how thankful we are we finally did. It was hard bc we loved his first Dr and staff but these diseases are tricky.
Please keep us updated. Your in my prayers!
Ps I agree w Lisa v and appreciate the others advise. We're in this together.
Heather, wife of Ronald 36; dx PNH 2012; Dx VSAA 2013; eculizumab(Solaris) hATG 2/20/13 cyclosporine 400 mg daily. 37 units RBC and 15 units of platelets. Post BMT -pentam,vorconizole,valtrex, valcyte, actigall, Pepcid , prograf, magnesium.
10/10 MUD 10/10/13
Now no PNH or AA. Mixed Chimerisim