View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 1, 2007, 12:49 PM

Hi Kelly - When your wbc's and neutrophils are low, you should avoid being around people that are sick. Wash your hands often, and I use a hand cream with alcohol to kill any germs that the hand washing might have missed. I wash all my fresh vegetables and fruits with a special wash that can be purchased at most grocery stores, just for that purpose.

I know one of the responses was about making sure you eat yogurt. That is so true. Make sure the yogurt has those beneficial bacteria. I find that if I go for a couple of weeks without eating yogurt, I develop a fungus on my tongue. It sounds worse than it is, but the yogurt's bacteria actually destroys the fungus.

One last thing......A friend from this site brought a product to my attention, and it is called Epicor. It is a yeast based product, and I have been taking it for 3 months. It is supposed to boost the immune system. My hematologist is aware of the product and does not see any problem with my taking this supplement. I suggest you do your own research on this product and see if it is for you. You can find some information about Epicor at: http://www.naturodoc.com/. I can only speak from my own experience, but I have been around people that were sick, and my wife had a terrible head cold, and all I got was some sniffles for one day. She is now taking the Epicor as a preventative. Pass it by your doctor. I have found the best price for this product is from Swanson Vitamins..at about $10.00/30.
Tom, age 56, diagnosed with MDS RAEB Oct of 2006. Previously treated w/ vidaza, unsuccessfully. Revlimid successful 1 year. Progressed to AML 4/08 w/ 20% blasts, now in remission. BMT to take place 10/08.