View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 12:00 PM
Owner

Andrya,

I read your blog. I guess it's really your and Ryan's blog, since he took over for you in the thick of things.

One of the first questions that came to my mind was whether you really had AA and then MDS, or if it was MDS all along and simply couldn't be diagnosed at first. Maybe your pregnancy didn't cause an immune reaction but simply revealed something that was already wrong.

In many ways your story echoes those of other patients: a scary diagnosis, transfusions, enduring tests and making sense of test results, the ups and downs of good days and bad days, the ways your family has pitched in to help, the transplant process, getting discouraged, and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

But you also have your own unique twist on these experiences: the way you ended up being diagnosed(!), having such a young son, the headaches (that sounded especially awful) and other side effects, and being a Navy wife. You must really be looking forward to Day +100 and the new freedom you'll have.

If I can presume to speak for other patients, I'd like to thank you for sharing your story here and publishing your blog. It probably gives you an outlet and a way to keep family and friends informed, but it also gives something concrete to other patients who are facing what you've been through: first-hand details. It's hard not to start rooting for other people once you've read about their struggles, and it helps us all feel connected and better informed about what patient really face with these diseases.