View Single Post
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 02:23 PM

Transplant question

I have a transplant question. I am headed to BMT after 2 years of hemming and hawing (I think I am the world's MOST reluctant patient). I am fortunate enough to have some excellent matches, though. All 10/10, DQB1, blood type, CMV match, etc.

The most ideal of these matches is a young man. However he is only willing to donate PBSCs, not marrow, which is the preferred stem cell source for my condition. The other ideal matches are women. I don't know yet the particulars on them, and whether any is willing to donate marrow. As my doctor said, there is no literature on whether, all else being equal, young man/PBSC donor is a better or worse choice than woman/marrow donor. The transplant team is looking into this, but it seems open for debate, given the lack of studies on this particular question. GVHD and engraftment issues are particularly worrisome for me because of my age and the fact that I have had well over 100 transfusions -- probably closer to 200 -- and continue to get plts twice/week. The transplant team is doing everything they can to find the absolute best match. They are also planning on using Campath for the preparative regimen, in an effort to reduce the risk of GVHD.

Any insight would be most welcome. Thanks so much.
Marmab, F65, SAA/hypo MDS dx 7/2011. Tried ATG/CsA, IvIG, Rituxan, prednisone, Promacta -- none of these helped. Transfusion dependent until MUD BMT 7/17/14. Prep. regimen of Campath, Fludarabine & Cytoxan. Doing great. 100% engraftment. No GVHD.