View Single Post
Old Sat May 24, 2014, 10:36 AM

When we met with Dr Young at NIH in March of this year I asked him about using peripheral stem cells vs marrow stem cells for AA. He was quick to answer that marrow is definitely preferred for SAA! He said some transplant doc in other countries are trying to use only marrow for AA transplant. I believe peripheral stem cells are used in the majority of transplants because a majority of transplants are not for SAA due to the rarity of the disease. Leukemia patients benefit form a little of GVHD to prevent the return of Leukemia. Dr Young explained SAA patients DO Not benefit from any GVHD. Dr Young voiced concern when I told him our transplant doc's plan was to use peripheral stem cells to decrease the chance of rejection and was not planning on asking for marrow stem cells. I completely understand your question of using a male's peripheral stem cells vs marrow from a female but I did not ask him that question.
I wish you the best. Please let us know what you and your transplant team decides.

Last edited by Relentless Against SAA : Sat May 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM.