View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 02:11 PM

Hi Honey!

(Typing that makes me feel like a waitress in Baltimore, where they call everyone "hon.")

Generally, mutations in chromosome 7 have been associated with a poorer prognosis than some other mutations, and having multiple mutations is also not as good as having a single mutation.

However, at least one study found the opposite about 7:

http://www.mdsbeacon.com/news/2011/01/28/mutations-in-chromosome-7-are-associated-with-better-mds-prognosis-than-other-chromosomal-abnormalities-ash-2010/

It make be hard to find much solid research specifically on the combo of 5&7 mutations. I'm not exactly sure what 7t means. In US nomenclature, each chromosome has a long arm and a short arm. The long arm is q. So del 5q means the long arm of 5 is missing. The short arm is p. so del t5p would mean the short arm of p is missing. I think t is used sometimes to indicate a translocation -- when a piece of one chromosome gets glommed onto another chromosome, but that typically looks like t(8;14)(q24:q32), which means "Chromosomes 8 & 14 have swapped out sections 24 through 32 of their long arms."

So, you might need to ask you doc what 7t or del 7t really means. Or maybe someone else here knows.

If you aren't in a position to be having transfusions, and your counts aren't dangerously low, then watch and wait makes excellent sense.

In the US, it's pretty standard practice to treat folks with (lenalidomide) when they have del5q and begin to need a lot of transfusions. But I don't knwo whether that drug is available in Australia. It may also be, since you are so young, your doctor figures a transplant makes more sense than a drug that is only going to work for a finite period of time.

Still, might not hurt to ask.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com