View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 27, 2019, 08:20 AM

Moderate aplastic anemia - seeking information

Hi, i am 46-year-old male and was recently diagnosed with moderate aplastic anemia. The official protocol for this is "watch & wait" but since I cannot deal very well with uncertainty, I want to find out more about my outlooks and options in the meantime. Therefore, if you know something about the one or other question I have I would really apreciate your input.

1. How likely is it that the MAA stays stable vs. a steadily declines/gets worse? Do you know of any studies analyzing MAA development over time and what are the results? I somehow have the feeling that blood values will worsen over time and how our AA is classified only depends on when our AA is discovered so that untreated we will all end in the vSAA cluster , but I have also seen some reports here about stable situations. Are they the rare exceptions ?
2. Are there any studies analyzing whether it is better to "watch" and treat later vs. fighting the roots and starting treatment early? What is the potential impact of early vs late treatment with regards to remission and relapse?
3. Is permanent remission after IST at all possible and or is it always only temporarily (since one is not healed) but it differs how long it lasts for someone? Do you know of people with remission >20 years?

Any other insights about moderate AA are highly appreciated. Thank you once again for your help.