View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 09:16 PM

Cyclosporine Taper

Hi everyone,

I am a 25 year old female, diagnosed with aplastic anemia in May 2010. When I entered the hospital, my counts usually hovered around: ANC-500, Hematocrit-20, and Platelets-10. I was receiving red blood cells about every week and platelets twice a week. I have a blog about my journey with this illness: http://meaghansbadblood.blogspot.com...bad-blood.html

I received ATG and cyclosporine in June 2010 and have been seeing my counts very slowly but steadily improve. It has been 3 months since my last red blood cell transfusion and 2 months since my last platelet transfusion. My counts at my last visit: ANC-1500, Hematocrit-30, Platelets-40.

In January it will have been 6 months since my ATG and my doctor wants to begin to taper my cyclosporine. His plan is to taper over about 3 months (25 mgs per week) but from what I read, people are less likely to relapse if they do a 6 month to 12 month taper. I've told my doctor this but he still seems confident with a 3 month taper. Any advice? I haven't had any side effects from the cyclosporine, so if there is no harm in being on it, I'm inclined to try to convince him to let me draw it out.

Thanks!