View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAA Sister View Post
My brother is one month post ATG and they are trying to give him the least amount of blood products possible while we wait to for them to confirm a possible matched unrelated donor. He has in a space of a week dropped from a Hb of 77 to 67 g/L or 6.7 g/DL, I know it depends on what he is able to tolerate and he seems to be tolerating it preety well but I worry that we probably shouldn't go too much under this with his weight at 108kgs. What is the lowest an adult male can go? Is the risk of developing antibodies to blood products if he will have a BMT greater than the risks of living with such a low hb count?
In the U.S for a male they usually want to give blood if HGB is less than seven, for the elderly its 8. However, a lot of doctors now feel that 8 is a better number b/c it gives the patient a better quality of life. How low can it go depends on the individual, I've heard of people with HGB of 3 before they realized something was wrong. There are people on here that have had a hundred or more transfusions and they're still posting. Is it possible the ATG will start working and he wont need the transplant? I hope so. Hope this helps.