View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 7, 2007, 12:34 AM

Add me to the list of parents who have had to force their kids to drink. My daughter is 6 years old. Before she went back to school it was pretty good but as with others was a hassle once school started back up. I was lucky in that her teacher understood and reminded Michelle during the day to drink her water. I also include a small bottle of water with her lunch that she drinks. I could get her to drink about 16-18 oz a day while in school. Once she gets home from school the first thing she does is wash her hands, then I give her a glass of water.

The other huge thing I did was show her the spreadsheet we have of her lab numbers. Her creatinine was higher than the dr would like it and the upper limit was a red line. She was able to see that her values were above the red line. I was surprised that worked but she was really interested to see that and it made her drink better.

I can't believe any 8 year old would like the idea of an NG tube. Can you threaten her with that? I used that threat when Michelle had gut GvH and wouldn't eat.

Good luck!
Suzanne