View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 01:04 AM

Hi Marilin,

My daughter Danica was diagnosed with vsAA in 10/2006 (11y old). She is an avid club soccer player. She had a BMT and is now turning 13 and is doing great and is back in club soccer. That was her goal!!! Her second one is Gymnastics!!!

I personally would hesitate w/ football, I have two son's who also played when they were younger and we are not talking "touch". Until you know what is really happening w/your son's I personally would hold off.

I explained to Danica that we are not giving up, we are just taking a slight Detour. I might explain to the coach and tell him what is happening and let him exercise w/ the team, but not let him get into physical contact. He may find out just exercising with the team will push his limits especially with low counts. Danica wanted to do this but her counts were so low that is was not a possibility.

We are also a big believer in never giving up and fighting for what you want!! but in this case you could be talking about the possibilities of a brain hemorrhage or other internal hemorrhages that you would kick yourself over if you let him play.

You are the parent!! it is not your son giving up...it is you... deciding what is best!!!!!

Sorry to be so direct!!!! My heart goes out to you...and your family. Dr. Young would be an excellent 2nd opinion as well as Dr. Margolis. A second opinion is an absolute must!! especially w/ two children!!!!!

Wishing you the very best,
Linda V.