View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 10:26 PM

What goes up . . .

Hi All!

That little unexpected uptick (or less than expected downtick) in my Hgb didn't last too long. Though I went three weeks between transfusions, I was down to 7.1 at my usual Tuesday CBC, and likely below 7.0 when transfused on Friday.

My best guess is that the two-week 8.6 was ephemera, but who knows?

Different labs, different days, different results -- sometimes it seems like it would be easier if folks just came equipped with a hemoglobin meter. Or maybe you could get one installed, kind of like a PICC line. But, of course, then we'd be obsessively checking the thing all the time.

Before I hit Same Day Surgery for my two units of packed RBCs, my local hematologist hit my behind with some lidocaine and an awl. I should have some results from the bone marrow biopsy back in a couple of days.

Keep your fingers crossed that no nasties have cropped up. If all looks the same as May, we're probably going to have to do some serious thinking about Revlimid. I don't really mind transfusions, but every two weeks is probably pushing what makes sense to do on a long-term basis.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com