View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice M. View Post
Hi Greg,

Since my MDS diagnosis in May 2011 and the discovery of Marrowforrums, I check this site numerous times daily. I really appreciate all the knowledge and personal insights based on experiences and I feel that I know so many of you and I want to see how many of you are doing. Greg, I am disappointed to hear that your counts are down, and I am hopefully that your BMB is "nasties" free! Please keep us up todate.
One quick question, how does AA progress into MDS?

Take Care,
Janice
Hey Janice!

Thanks for the good thoughts.

You know, typical of the human being, since being diagnosed with MDS, I have focused on MDS and not paid nearly as much attention to AA, despite the fact that some of my best buds on marrowforums are AA folks.

Consequently, I don't know the answer to that question, though I would love to understand it better.

My impression is that, in the space that you occupy, with your hypocellular marrow, it can be a bit tricky to differentiate AA from MDS. So "progression" from one to the other may be, I'll bet, not so much a change in condition as a change in diagnosis.

But that's a guess, and I hope that Hopeful, Lisa V, or one of our AA buds will weigh in on that subject. In fact, maybe we can post this question as a new thread over in the AA forum and get folks to talk it over. I'll do that after I finish this.

I do think it's an important question, particularly for you. Because the therapies that seem like a good idea for MDS are not always a good idea for AA -- Campath as a frontline therapy being one example: nice results in younger folks with MDS; lousy results as a frontline therapy for AA.

Take Care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com