View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 5, 2008, 03:36 PM

Unhappy MDS - A nightmare arriving my home

Hello!

I'm Paula and I'm from Azores, Portugal.

First of all let me tell you how much grateful I am for having the opportunity of entering this forum.

As you might know I'm dealing with a distress situation.

My husband started to present as very tired. As I'm a nurse I found that strange and made him have a RBC account. A macrocitic anemia appeared. It was in last December 4th. A pancitopenia was revealed.

To resume since that he went in some test, even 3 myelograms. The last one revealed 19 % sideroblasts some of them (rare) in ring. Blasts - 0.3 %

Last hemogram outcome:

RBC - 2.77

Hemoglobin - 10.6

Hematocrit - 29.8

Medium globular volume - 107.6

WBC - 3.51

Neutrohiles - 26.8

Linfocits - 61.5

Platelets - 67

We were told that Jorge (my husband name) has a myielo displasy – aand needs a bone marrow transplant. He has no siblings… And he is 44 years old.

But he was not medicated. We're waiting for genetic study and bone biopsy.

And since he was diagnosed in Lisbon we must return home and now we're waiting for the haematologist consultation here.

I've been searching in the web for this condition and what I find is not nice.

I would like to know is there are some advances or researches going on that can help him. And what are the odds of finding a bone marrow donor to him. I though about become pregnant (I'm 43 and have discoid lupus) so staminal cells could be used. Jorge had a vasectomy 4 years ago but as long I know with my Gynecologist it's possible to access and become pregnant by in vitro fertilization. Do you think is this an option?

I asked it here and doctor say "oh no, he will be in the receptors list". They tell is as the most natural thing in this world. In my country doctors don't speak too much with patients even if it's a nurse…

Here in Portugal he'd be in a bone marrow bank that is world wide linked.

I'd be very grateful for any information you can provide.

Sincerely,

Paula