View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 6, 2008, 12:13 PM

Hi Paula - Ruth has given you some wonderful information. One of the most important things you can do is to learn as much as you can about this disease and become your own advocate.

There are also treatments available that have helped many people with this disease. I was diagnosed in 2006 and have tried a couple different treatments. A drug called revlimid was finally the one that has worked for me. I went from weekly transfusions to becoming transfusion free for 10 months now.

I know this news is frightening, but it is not the end. You will find that your life changes and you find yourself taking each day, one at a time. You also find yourself appreciating those things you once took for granted. It is important to keep a positive attitude and gather your support group around you. I found great comfort in my faith and my family.

I will keep your husband, and you, in my prayers. Tell him to keep his chin up.

Tom
Tom, age 56, diagnosed with MDS RAEB Oct of 2006. Previously treated w/ vidaza, unsuccessfully. Revlimid successful 1 year. Progressed to AML 4/08 w/ 20% blasts, now in remission. BMT to take place 10/08.