View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 6, 2015, 06:37 AM

No Diagnosis looking for insight

A quick history of my son's issues...
He is now 16 years old and started at the age of 14. His peripheral blood lines were mildly low for more than 6 months and he was sent to a hematologist. She did a bmb and found his cellularity to be 35% with no other abnormalities found other than low iron stores and decreased Nk function. He has since since had 5 bmb with the lowest cellularity being 30% and most recent increased to 50%. The last report stated "mildly dyspoitic erythroids and myloids" and plentiful megakaryocytes with a rare atypical form noted". This has never been reported on any of his biopsies before. The doctor did not mention these findings until I noticed them and questioned what that ment. She said she was going to speak with the pathologist to find d out exactly what he saw. She has also expedited the FISH and cytogenic study that was sent to another lab.

Any insight on these findings would be gratefully appreciated. I am concerned that I should be getting a second opinion or does MDS take several years to diagnose?? I want to be doing everything I can for my son.

Thank you in advance for any advice or information.