View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 6, 2011, 09:37 PM

I'm not the best of people to answer all your questions because it was a long time ago for me and I seem to have selective memories of it all. My mom reminds me of a lot of things that I went through. She said that the first day of my ATG was a little rough for me with chills and fever and such. After that, I seemed to tolerate the ATG ok. I don't remember if I was released the day after day 5 of my ATG or not. Sorry, I can't help you there. My mom said that the first few days when we got to the apartment we rented, I was sick with headaches and nausia. I do remember having a hard time taking the cyclosporine because it smelled so bad it usually made me throw up before I could even get it in my mouth. I spent a lot of time in the bedroom in the dark sleeping because of headaches. I remember just a general feeling of yuck for quite a while. It wasn't bad enough to have me down for the count. Just a general weird yucky feeling. When we tried to take me off the steroid, I had intense pain in my knees. The pain was so bad, I got taken to the ER a few times for pain shots. I remember that VERY well. I would say that immediately after his ATG, he won't be playing with is friends like a regular teenager. I can't give you a timeline of when exactly he'll feel well enough to do that either. Sorry. I was all so long ago for me. I know there are others on here who can help you a little more and I'm sure you'll hear from them soon. Everyone is definitely different in their experiences. From what I understand, the younger the patient, the better they tolerate the drugs, though, if that makes you feel any better. I hope it goes smoothly and he's the typical teenage boy you would expect to see soon.

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil