View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 18, 2010, 09:05 PM

Dad diagnosed with MDS (RAEB-1); no treatment as of now

Hello,

My dad was diagnosed with MDS (RAEB-1) a month ago (ie, May '2010) and the cytogenetic report showed a 5q and 7q deletion. All this started in April, when my dad started feeling fatigued, had cough and shortness of breath and a loss of appetite.

After testing, it was confirmed in May that my dad had MDS, with blast cells of 2%. However, by that time, he was running a high fever (infection of unknown origin causing it) and was injected with erythropoeitin for 3 weeks, while being treated for the infection.

After 3 weeks, once the infection and fever were gone, he underwent another bone marrow biopsy (a month after the first BMB). The blast cells were 4% and after the doc saw the latest blood report, (showing a Hb of 9.4 and platelet count of 43K), she recommended not trying any treatment for the time being.

The doc said that seeing my dad's improving condition and a Hb count of 9.4, she suggested that maybe my dad had this condition for 5-7 years, but it wasn't detected and only the cough and shortness of breath in April, brought this to light. The doc said maybe the condition may just go down again and stay as is for years.

She asked my dad to get a blood test done only after 15 days, saying pricking him for blood tests should be avoided as much as possible. She suggested my dad take 6 weeks for rest and if the blood tests reveal a stable Hb, then he may join work after a month.

Right now, there is a week left for the blood test, and my dad is fine, with no problem other than weakness and a lack of appetite. He eats little and says he feels 'uneasy' with heavy arms and legs right after eating. Throughout the 2 months, he was transfused with blood around 8 times and the last transfusion he had was some 15 days ago.

The lowest his platelet count ever went down to was 23K and the last report (of June 10th) showed a platelet count of 43K (Hb 9.4).

We are scared about what the blood test a week later will show, and I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience. Is it too much to hope for a good blood report? And maybe go without any treatment as well?

I'm hoping and praying for the best though.