View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 14, 2013, 01:53 PM

Vidaza: How Long Can You Live? MDS Diagnosis

Hello group:

I am weighing the risks of a transplant with the risks of Vidaza effectiveness and what my chances are for 5 more years of the good life I enjoy right now. I can live with 7 days of Vidaza infusions followed by 5 days of Neupogen shots the rest of my life, however long it may be. I read the research that says Vidaza is effective for 18 to 24 months.

But, that is the mean. How many people live well with this treatment for years? Is there anyone on this site that has had 3, 4, or 5 years of Vidaza and you still enjoy life?

After 7 months of Dacogen, then 8 months of nothing, now 5 months of Vidaza I feel great, have no side effects and do everything I did before MDS. I bike up to 20 miles once a week, walk the dog two miles every day and play rigorous Pickleball several times a week. We are professional accordionists and we just performed at the Scandinavian Festival on the main stage for an hour four days in a row. I was totally energized. I want to keep this life going. There are many more ethnic festivals that need and want accordion music, believe it or not!

With a transplant, this life immediately comes to an end and perhaps takes a year to regain, maybe never.

Is there anyone out there that has kept the good life going with Vidaza or does it lose it's effectiveness in a couple of years according to the results reported in the often-cited research study.
Shirley, age 75 diagnosed MDS REAB II, 2/6/12, blasts 10%, Dacogen 7 cycles, blasts 1.2%. Stopped treatment for 8 months. 3/19/13 blasts crept up to .06. Began Vidaza. After 3 rounds blasts .01. Continuing Vidaza for rest of my life.