View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 31, 2015, 10:12 AM

Freq of Blood Tests, etc.

edithr,

You are so right! In this case, BORING is GREAT!

The last bone marrow biopsy I had was in June of 2009... I have had 3 of them through the years (I had to be sedated for the last two since my bones are apparently hard as rocks!)...

I go in about 3-4 times per year for CBCs. I have a local hematologist who I see twice per year, and I go once per year to a doctor at Vanderbilt for a second opinion on my situation. Sometimes my GP will also do a CBC if the situation calls for it. My visits with these doctors have been mostly "boring" as you say... again, that is a GOOD thing.

Is this my "normal"? Good question... but I don't think so. I have recorded my CBC results in a spreadsheet dating from 2000 (when we first noticed I had a problem). I also had a few of my CBC results I rounded up from other doctors from the early-mid 1990s... if you look at my blood counts over the years, there is a definite gradual downward trend -- most noticeable in the platelets -- but in reds and whites as well. Since 2009, my counts have been reasonably stable... but all still low.

So, maybe things have stabilized at this level? I don't know... I guess there is no way to know except to keep an eye on it -- to "watch and wait."