Thread: Iron too low
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 02:42 AM

Iron too low

Hi, I don't know what's happening. On my last admission for transfusion my doctor said that it was probably time to start iron chelation because I have had 5 units of blood every 5 weeks for the last 2 years. Well, he ordered an iron level and ferritin. They were so low as to be unmeasurable. (I got the results from my GP, not my consultant.)

I don't understand how this can happen. Has this happened to anyone else ? I didn't know whether to be relieved or not. It is just making me more puzzled than ever. I thought the body couldn't get rid of excess iron. So what's happening to the iron from my donated blood ?

Also, does anybody else get migraines when they are anaemic ? 85 or less. This has only been happening to me for the last couple of months. It starts with a visual disturbance and progresses to full classic migraine that goes away about 24 hours after the transfusion. I had an MRI which showed evidence of previous meningitis with ongoing inflammation (didn't know I'd had meningitis) I don't know whether the headache is from anaemia or the spinal covering inflammation.

It's full moon and I think it's making me cranky......feeling a little sorry for myself I think. I know I'll get over it, so please forgive me for my whining.

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion