View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:36 PM

Angry Exjade! I need help from other Blue Cross members!

Hello!
Several months ago I prematurely posted a message about having success with my insurance company at getting Exjade approved for my son. Unfortunately, I soon learned that although the "approval" had happened, the copay for the drug was going to be the "bargain" price of $2,114.95 per month, this actually being a 50% copay. I have been battling since that time, trying to negotiate an affordable copay.

We have been denied assistance by Healthwell Foundation since evidently our income is "too high". Ha. I have since re-applied to them because I found out that they have some allowances for people in certain zip codes and ours is one of them. Evidently we live in an area that has a high cost of living.... NO KIDDING!!!!!

So, I have heard from Grant's hematologist that some of his patients who HAVE Blue Cross, are able to get Exjade for a reasonable copay.By reasonable, I mean one that is less than my house payment! Ha! Seriously, $30, $50, even several hundred per month is something I would consider reasonable in this situation.

Blue Cross states that Exjade is not on the drug formulary list for our plan. It is a "non-formulary drug". Evidently, the formularies re reviewed and new drugs are added periodically, but as of yet, it hasn't happened FOR OUR PLAN.
I would like to find out, from any of you that are willing to share this information, if you have Blue Cross and you have been able to obtain Exjade for a reasonable copay, what type of Blue Cross plan you have. My one zillion phone calls (some polite, some raging crazy mother talking) have not had success yet in ferreting out this information.

Thanks!
Wendy/mom to Grant... dx 12/4/98 AA