View Single Post
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Hello, B-OK.

Welcome to Marrowforums. We're glad that you found us.

You asked about what to do and what not to do. The most important thing for your wife to do is to try to avoid infections. With low WBCs and immunosuppression caused by Cyclosporine, she will be susceptible to infections and any illness will be harder to fight than it would normally be.

Cyclosporine has many side effects. You can read about them at rxlist.com. There are several brand names. Regular testing is needed to monitor levels of the drug in the blood.

When I took cyclosporine after my diagnosis with aplastic anemia and during my bone marrow transplant, I had high blood pressure, increased creatinine (the drug is hard on kidneys), tingling in my hands and feet, and insomnia. The side effects gradually went away as my dosage was reduced.

As JEZ mentioned, the standard treatment for aplastic anemia is ATG (anti-thymocyte globulin), which is typically given in the hospital over 3 or 4 days. Has your wife already received this treatment?

Please feel free to post your questions here. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are very willing to help.

Regards,
Ruth Cuadra