View Single Post
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 12:46 AM

Good Luck to Both of You

Hope;
I am very sorry to hear of your husband's relapse. With any type of cancer - your immune system is compromised, and generally more at risk for any type of infection. It might be a good idea to get some of those anti-microbial paper masks. I know how hard it is to get a guy to wear them - I argue with Earl every time he has to go to the Dr.'s or hospital - but he listens and usually wears them for his own safety. Let's face it - hospitals and Dr.'s offices are full of germs that may be any MDS patient's downfall. I have been told by 3 Dr.'s that it is not the MDS or Leukemia that does the most harm - it is the secondary infection. As with all patients - you need to keep him hydrated. How is his appetite? I know that Earl's has gone way dowhill since this first started. He is on the Dacogen therapy - but has only had 2 courses of it - and we are told that it takes between 4-6 to see if it works. One Dr told me he had 5 months - another one said 18 - so we are in limbo - and he is still getting weekly blood transfusions and sometimes platelets.
Is your husband on any Procrit or Aranesp injections? They are supposed to help build all types of blood cells - and even though Earl's levels are most always low, the Dr. wants him to continue the Procrit injections since the chemo bottoms him out.
Also - where is his hemoglobin level, B-12. iron (ferritin), copper, & zinc? May need to add some supplements to help build him up - but of course, check with your Dr. first.
I know how hard it is to be the caregiver - and watch the one you love. Again, good luck to both of you.
Beth