Thread: Induction Chemo
View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Patrick View Post
I have no idea of the drugs to be used for Induction Chemo. I have read on the internet that there is a 30% mortality rate. My doc said 5%. I am very anxious... Lori
Hey Lori!

There are lots of scary numbers on the internet. They are definitely worth looking at, because you need to know what you are getting into; but you have to take them with a grain of salt, because they are averages that include all sorts of people -- including some that are likely sicker and older than you are.

If your doc says 5%, then I am willing to bet you are being prepped for a reduced intensity, non-myeloablative transplant (which some folks call a mini-transplant). The drugs for that are not as harsh, so there's a lower mortality rate form the chemo itself.

You can download an intro to transplants from NBMTlink here.

You should also go the the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society website and download some of the publications here. Or just call them at this number (800) 955-4572 and get them to send you stuff.

Also call the AA&MDS International foundation at (800) 747-2820 and ask for an info packet. Or you can use their online form here.

Both the LLS & AAMDS websites have lots of archived webinars you can watch to learn more. It takes a while to get up to speed with the lingo, but it's definitely worth reading all this stuff to learn as much as you can. That way you know what questions to ask your doctor.

Will the doc you are dealing with now be handling the transplant, or will they be referring you to a transplant center?

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com