View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 4, 2014, 07:40 AM

Peachy, I had 8 rounds of vidaza in 2012 in the hope that a better matched donor could be found (3 siblings & none matched and the best on the registry was an 8/10) after I was diagnosed with MDS in Feb. unfortunately, I also quickly progressed to AML. Within days I was admitted to hospital & begun induction chemo (7 days continual Iv). I was initially told 3-4 wks in hospital for induction chemo & then 2 rounds of consolidation chemo, but was in for almost 6 weeks because my bone marrow never re-generated, was out for about a week when another bmb showed I was not in remission. So had another round of induction chemo, which meant another 5-6 weeks in hospital including a stay in ICU. Fortunately, I was then in remission and doctors decided there was no time to wait & I had my transplant on the 6th of march 2013 with an 8/10 match. I was out of hospital in 3 and 1/2 weeks and have managed to stay out since!

It is my understanding that they like you to be in remission going into transplant hence the induction chemo first. I wouldn't say it was easy but nothing compared to the mucositus I had with my transplant (had none really with round one, and a little bit with round two). I realise I am younger than your husband but definitely felt that old by the time I was finished! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I might be able to help you with.. Unfortunately I am an Aussie so can't help with best hospitals over there. I haven't found any other forums as active as this one but there is one on the leukaemia & lymphoma society website. If I was more technically minded I would be able to link it for you, but unfortunately I am not!! good luck.