View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 31, 2020, 12:03 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Btw, does anyone here know for which reasons the doctors might choose to go for a BMT over the more common PBSCT? They've already asked me multiple times if I was opposed to a BMT, but I forgot to ask the doctor that question. It's all the same to me and would mostly come down to whichever method gives the patient the best chance.
Either method can meet the transplant goal to give stem cells from the donor to the recipient. A PBSCT is more common, but there are two primary reasons that one type of transplant or the other might be performed:
  1. The donor's ability and willingness to undergo the procedure.

With a peripheral blood stem cell transplant, donors are given injections of filgrastim (best known by the brand name Neupogen) to release bone marrow stem cells into the circulating blood, where they can be taken out much like a platelet donation. Neupogen can cause temporary minor side effects like fever or nausea.

With a bone marrow transplant, donors undergo a surgical procedure under anesthesia. After-effects typically include hip soreness and aching for a few days.

2. The needs of the recipient, which may give an advantage to one method over the other.

For patients with AML (acute myeloid leukemia), for example, a PBSCT reduces the risk of graft failure, but a BMT reduces the risk of the disease called GVHD (graft versus host disease).

For that reason, depending on circumstances, the patient's medical team may request one method or the other.

Last edited by Neil Cuadra : Mon Nov 2, 2020 at 11:13 PM.