View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 17, 2015, 12:09 AM

Hi Alyasa - All I can say is that I haven't read anything to indicate that Echinacea could have a negative effect in MDS. I do know it could be risky for asthmatics.

Echinacea was actually recommended to me by the haematologist who did my most recent BMBs. He said that Chinese medicines were often unsafe and to take 1000 mg Echinacea daily to boost my white cell count and my immune system. I actually don't do that as I don't like to be taking any one supplement for any length of time. I just take it when I feel a sore throat or have other cold or flu symptoms.

Natural, unheated honey is good. Use medical grade honey if you can afford it. I use "Medihoney" (Manuka honey) when I have a sore throat or mouth ulcers. I also use it as an immune booster from time to time. It's also good for people on chemo or suffering from gut GVHD. See http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...-survive-chemo

With regard to conventional medicine, the haematologists I've consulted with have been wary of prescribing Neupogen because of the possibility of it increasing blast cells.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.