View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 10:19 PM

Hi Catl,

My 64 year old father was also just diagnosed with RAEB II. We found out on February 1. His is therapy related, he had been in remission from AML for over 5 years. We were told his MDS was a result of the strong chemo he received after being diagnosed with AML in 2011. We were told my Dad is not a candidate for a transplant, so he started vidaza this past Friday. I was also worried about him receiving the vidaza with such low blood counts.

Did you get any of the chromosomal information from the doctor? I have been going over my Dad's reports with a fine toothed comb, trying to understand and figure out what to expect. My Dad has an NPM1 mutation, which is supposedly rare in MDS and has a high chance of progressing to AML. His original diagnosis in 2011 was AML Inv. 16, which the BMB was negative for this time. I did find in my research that the NPM1 mutation usually responds favorably to vidaza.

How is your Dad tolerating the treatment so far? My Dad has been very sleepy, and his appetite has decreased. He has also been having some pretty bad headaches.