View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 12, 2015, 06:47 PM

Question Extremely Dry Skin/Cyclosporine Taper

Hi my name is Derek and I am 21 years old recovering from Aplastic Anemia. I had a bone marrow transplant on May 8th and am currently tapering off of Cyclosporine. It is a 3 month taper of which I am 2 months in, and I take 100 mg in the morning and 50 mg at night for a 150 mg daily dose.

For the past couple of weeks as I dropped in mg's my skin has dried up worse than the Sahara. It is flaking and scaling, and I have never been so uncomfortable in my own skin. My scalp is also just as dry, every time I run my hands through my hair it snows flakes of dry skin. My whole body is dry and I have been using dandruff shampoo/conditioner and putting eczema relief lotion on my entire body for a week now and it hasn't helped a bit.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced this? Is the dry skin a side affect of the Cyclosporine taper or is it because of the Chemo, the ATG, and the radiation I had in May? Or do I need to be drinking more water? Let me know your thoughts and comments I really do appreciate it.