View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 21, 2015, 12:05 PM

Ferritin is very reactive to any inflammation and when it's elevated like yours, it's not unusual to see it bounce around like that. Even the way they draw the blood can effect the reading. Since you're dealing with GVHD I'm not surprised that your doctor is not worried since GVHD is inflammatory. That being said, I too would still want to see that reduced to within a normal range especially if you have recovered your red cell completely.

John's experience with chelation was very tedious, slow and it pretty much caused digestive issues and eventually kidney stress. He too does not do well with drugs and never got a full dose of either deferral or exjade. He cannot do full phlebotomies either since his HGB is around 12 and doesn't rebound quickly. He only did 250 ml every other month. Phlebotomies are most effective way to quickly reduce the iron.

IMO, I would hold off doing chelation and resume phlebotomies when it makes sense. At some point, you may want to see a complete iron panel done to get the bigger picture since FE is so reactive.

Hope this helps.....M
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.