View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
In April I was diagnosed with pancytopenia (low counts on red, white, and platelets) after routine bloodwork. I've been through lots of blood tests, a bone marrow biopsy, and abdominal ultrasound. My iron, folic acid, and B-12 readings are all within normal range. There is no evidence of leukemia cells in the blood or bone marrow. The bone marrow biopsy showed lower than expected level of red and white blood cells, but normal counts for platelets. The ultrasound showed an enlarged spleen. From what I've been able to understand, the tests did not indicate any dysplasia, just bone marrow not producing as much as I need.

The doctor says my autoimmune system may be destroying my platelets, while I am not producing enough red and white cells. I got a shot of growth factor (not sure which one), and he wants me to repeat every three weeks along with routine bloodwork.

I have not received a diagnosis, but he said it looks like pre-MDS. Have any of you heard of anything like this? I'd like to move on with my life, but would like to know how serious this is and plan accordingly.

Have any of you been through anything like this? Waiting for test results is really getting me down.
Everything your describing i went threw already bro at the end i was diagnosed with severe AA this was five yrs ago... 3 transfusions per week for a long time.... my platelets at 50000 now still low but no transfusions yeey! ATG saved me on cyclosporine now calms my immune system... Stay strong and call me if you want to know more I dont feel sick anymore but my blood counts say other wise keep a strong mind and think of this disease like if it were a cold thats never going away it helps trust....this my number 626 435 5684 i live in California SGV my name SAm