View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 11, 2015, 03:20 PM

Mike G is joining the Marrow Forums

I'm a 66 yo man who was traveling all over the US for work until I was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome with anemia resistant to management and which decreased my red cells, white cells and platelets.
The only initial symptom I experienced was fatigue. When I returned to my home town in the beginning of August 2014, after a three month project out west, I saw my primary care physician and was immediately hospitalized with this diagnosis. I quit a job I loved and started down the road of Vidaza, then Revlimid, and later with Decitabine until I found a compatible allogeneic transplant donor. I received my transplanted cells on February 3 and have been on the road to recovery ever since. I'm living close to the transplant center and expect they will cut me loose to go home in a week or so.
I want to be available to relate my experiences to anyone who may be facing a similar diagnosis and treatement.
Myelodysplastic Syndrome High Grade, R-IPSS intermediate risk, complex cytogenetics - 45XY, -5,-9,add12(p11.2), -15, -17, -5, add(19), +4mar[2]/43, idem, add 12(p11.2), -17 [2], 46XY [16], Diagnosed 8/4/2014, Allogeneic stem cell transplant: 02/03/2015