View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 09:25 AM

Vidaza questions...

My main problem right now is low neutrophils and suseptibility to infections (shingles, staph like boils, diarrhea of unknown cause, etc). I've been in the hospital twice now for IV antibiotics. I get a CBC every week and Granix shot if ANC is below 1.5, and it generally is every other week as it'll drop down to as low as 0.1 to 0.6 by the time I get another CBC after not getting geting one.

The shot also causes platelets to drop (currently 83) but now it's causing higher than normal other white cells and higher blast counts (currently 9%). The weeks I don't get the shot, these numbers are better. But my hemoglobin is also going in a downward trend overall, though it's a little better when I don't get the shot, too.

So now the oncologist wants to talk about starting Vidaza. I know that can cause low neutrophils so how would that even work? Can I get Granix shots at the same time?

Also, could someone who has actually gotten, or is still getting, Vidaza infusions by IV, describe what the treatment sessions are like and what the followup side effects are? All my doctor has said is that "it's not like chemo where you lose your hair or anything like that". Please feel free to answer by private message if you wish.

We also have to decide whether to do another BMB now or start treatments for awhile and do one later to see if the treatments are working. Any thoughts on this? I see him today at 10:30 but he knows I take a long time to make decisions about this stuff.

Thanks for answers & thoughts.
Jo
Joanne, 65F, 8/17 dx Primary MDS-EB1, Pancytopenia; 6/19 MPN w/CMML characteristics, dr calling it AML even w/blasts <20%; 7/19 Induction w/Vyxeos resulting in complete remission with incomplete blood count recovery.